Aussie slang

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 am

• A list of 25 and then some more

1. Arvo: afternoon

2. Barbie: barbeque

3. Bogan: redneck, an uncultured person. According to the Australian show Bogan Hunters, a real bogan sports a flanno (flannel shirt), a mullet, missing teeth, homemade tattoos (preferably of the Australian Flag or the Southern Cross), and has an excess of Australia paraphernalia. This "species of local wildlife" can be found by following their easily distinguishable tracks from burnouts or the smell of marijuana.

4. Bottle-O: bottle shop, liquor store

5. Chockers: very full

6. Esky: cooler, insulated food and drink container

7. Fair Dinkum: true, real, genuine

8. Grommet: young surfer

9. Mozzie: mosquito

10. Pash: a long passionate kiss. A pash rash is red irritated skin as the result of a heavy make-out session with someone with a beard.

11. Ripper: really great

12. Roo: kangaroo. A baby roo, still in the pouch, is known as a Joey

13. Root: sexual intercourse. This one can get really get foreigners in trouble. There are numerous stories about Americans coming to Australia telling people how they love to "root for their team." If you come to Australia, you would want to use the word "barrack" instead. On the same note, a "wombat" is someone who eats roots and leaves.

14. Servo: gas station. In Australia, a gas station is called a petrol station. If you ask for gas, don’t be surprised if someone farts.

15. She’ll be right: everything will be all right

16. Sickie: sick day. If you take a day off work when you are not actually sick it’s called chucking a sickie.

17. Slab: 24-pack of beer

18. Sook: to sulk. If someone calls you a sook, it is because they think you are whinging

19. Stubbie holder: koozie or cooler. A stubbie holder is a polystyrene insulated holder for a stubbie, which is a 375ml bottle of beer.

20. Sweet as: sweet, awesome. Aussies will often put ‘as’ at the end of adjectives to give it emphasis. Other examples include lazy as, lovely as, fast as and common as.

21. Ta: thank you

22. Togs: swim suit

23. Tradie: a tradesman. Most of the tradies have nicknames too, including brickie (bricklayer), truckie (truckdriver), sparky (electrician), garbo (garbage collector) and chippie (carpenter).

24. Ute: Utility vehicle, pickup truck

25. Whinge: whine

The more:

Good onya, mate! Understanding the Aussies should be easy as now.A Cold One – Beer
    Accadacca – How Aussies refer to Australian band ACDC
    Arvo – Afternoon (S’Arvo – this afternoon!)
    Aussie Salute – Wave to scare the flies
    Avo – Avocado
    Bail – To cancel plans. ‘Bruce bailed’ = Bruce isn’t going to turn up.
    Barbie – Barbecue
    Bathers – Swimsuit
    Beauty! – Great! Most often exclaimed as “You Beauty”
    Billabong – A pond in a dry riverbed
    Billy – Teapot (In the Outback on the fire)
    Bloody – Very. Used to extenuate a point
    Bloody oath – yes or its true. “You right mate?”… “Bloody Oath”
    Bludger – Someone who’s lazy, generally also who relies on others (when it’s someone who relies on the state they’re often called a ‘dole bludger’)
    Bogan – This word is used for people who are, well let’s say, rednecks. Or, if you like, just call your friends a bogan when they are acting weird.
    Booze Bus – Police vehicle used to catch drunk drivers
    Bottle-O – Bottle Shop, basically a place to buy alcohol
    Brekky – Breakfast
    Brolly – Umbrella
    Bruce – An Aussie Bloke
    Budgie Smugglers – Speedos
    Bush – “Out in the bush” – “he’s gone bush” In the countryside away from civilisation
    Cab Sav – Cabernet Sauvignon
    Cactus – Dead, Broken
    Choc A Bloc – Full
    Choccy Biccy – Chocolate Biscuit
    Chook – Chicken
    Chrissie – Christmas
    Ciggy – a Cigarette
    Clucky – feeling maternal
    Cobber – Very good friend. ‘Alright me ‘ol cobber’.
    Coldie – Beer. ‘Come over for a few coldie’s mate.’
    Coppers – Policemen
    Crikey – an expression of surprise
    Crook – Being ill or angry; ‘Don’t go crook on me for getting crook’
    C*nt, the “C” word – Used when exchanging pleasantries between close friends or family member. If someone calls you the “C” word in Australia (and you haven’t done anything to make them angry), then breathe a sigh of relief… it means you have entered the mate zone.
    Dag – Someone who’s a bit of a nerd or geek.
    Daks – Trousers. ‘Tracky daks’ = sweatpants (tracksuit pants)
    Dardy – meaning “cool”, is used amongst South West Australian Aboriginal peoples and has also been adopted by non-indigenous teens. – source
    Deadset – True
    Defo – Definitely
    Devo – Devastated
    Drongo – a Fool, ‘Don’t be a drongo mate’
    Dunny – Toilet
    Durry – Cigarette
    Esky – An insulated container that keeps things cold (usually beers)
    Facey – Facebook
    Fair Dinkum – ‘Fair Dinkum?’ … ‘Fair Dinkum!’ = Honestly? … Yeah honestly!
    Flannie / Flanno – flannelette shirt
    Flat out – Really busy – “Flat out like a lizard drinking” – As busy as a bee
    Footy – Football (AFL / Aussie Rules)
    Frothy – Beer
    F*ck Me Dead – that’s unfortunate, that surprises me
    Furphy – rumours or stories that are improbable or absurd
    G’day – Hello
    Galah – an Australian cockatoo with a reputation for not being bright, hence a galah is also a stupid person.
    Going off – busy, lots of people / angry person “he’s going off”
    Good On Ya – Good work
    Goon – the best invention ever produced by mankind. Goon is a cheap, boxed wine that will inevitably become an integral part of your Australian backpacking experience.
    Hard yakka – Hard work
    Heaps – loads, lots, many
    Hoon – Hooligan (normally driving badly!)
    Iffy – bit risky or unreasonable
    Knickers – female underwear
    Lappy – Laptop
    Larrikin – Someone who’s always up for a laugh, bit of a harmless prankster
    Legless – Someone who is really drunk
    Lollies – Sweets
    Maccas – McDonalds
    Manchester – Sheets / Linen etc. As someone who’s from England, finding a department within a shop called Manchester seriously confused me at first.
    Mongrel – Someone who’s a bit of a dick
    Mozzie – Mosquito
    No Drama – No problem / it’s ok
    No Worries -No problem / it’s ok
    Nuddy – Naked
    Outback – The interior of Australia, “The Outback” is more remote than those areas named “the bush”
    Pash – to kiss
    Piece of Piss – easy
    Piss Off – go away, get lost
    Piss Up – a party, a get together and in Australia – most social occasions
    Piss – (To Piss) to urinate
    Pissed – Intoxicated, Drunk
    Pissed Off – Annoyed
    Rack Off – The less offensive way to tell someone to ‘F Off’!
    Rapt – Very happy
    Reckon – for sure. ‘You Reckon?’… ‘I reckon!’
    Rellie / Rello – Relatives
    Ripper – ‘You little ripper’ = That’s fantastic mate!
    Root Rat – someone who enjoys sex (maybe a little too much)
    Rooted – Tired
    Runners – Trainers, Sneakers
    Servo – Service Station / Garage
    Sheila – A woman
    Shoot Through – To leave
    Sickie – a sick day off work, or ‘to pull a sickie’ would be to take a day off when you aren’t actually sick
    Skull – To down a beer
    Slab – A carton of beers
    Snag – Sausage
    Stiffy – Erection
    Stoked – Happy, Pleased
    Straya – Australia
    Strewth – An exclamation of surprise
    Stubby – a bottle of beer
    Stubby Holder – Used so your hands don’t get cold when holding your beer, or to keep your beer warm!
    Stuffed – Tired
    Sunnies – Sunglasses
    Swag – Single bed you can roll up, a bit like a sleeping bag.
    Tea – Dinner
    Tinny – Can of beer or small boat
    Thongs – Flip Flops. Do not be alarmed if your new found Australian friend asks you to wear thongs to the beach. They are most likely expressing their concern of the hot sand on your delicate feet.
    Tucker – Food. ‘Bush Tucker’ tends to be food found in the Outback such as witchety grubs.
    Two Up – A gambling game played on Anzac day.
    U-IE – to take a U-Turn when driving
    Woop Woop – middle of nowhere “he lives out woop woop”
    Ya – You
    Yous – (youse) plural of you!

Tro
    Tro

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:14 am

• I love this. :D
    RAPT(+)R

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:59 pm

• Tbh loved the root description
    The Mummy

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:06 pm

• Looking forward to the kiwi version:D
    HadeesDrudge

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:06 pm

• hahahaha i was asked "root or boot" for a girls photo i was like root or boot? lol

I only knew a few of them off the top of my head like arvo and sickie :P
    LonG

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:09 pm

• Tro wrote:C*nt, the “C” word – Used when exchanging pleasantries between close friends or family member. If someone calls you the “C” word in Australia (and you haven’t done anything to make them angry), then breathe a sigh of relief… it means you have entered the mate zone.

Tro

Well if you say that here take a deep breath because you're probably 'bout to be slapped in the face, punched in the face, or kicked in the balls
    LonG

Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:05 am

• Fucking gay !
    tripullcrown

Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:41 pm

• HadeesDrudge wrote:Looking forward to the kiwi version:D

1. Sweet as
    This is what Kiwis say when we mean ‘no problem’, ‘awesome’ or ‘cool’. It is a standard response in text conversions and is used often in everyday life. “Hey, are you happy meeting up at the time I suggested?” “Yep, sweet as.” “Are you happy with fish and chips for dinner tonight?”, “Yeah, sweet as.” Though ‘sweet as’ is the most common form, almost any adjective can be placed in front of the ‘as’ to make a sentence “it’s quiet as in this hallway” or “it’s hot as at the beach today.” What the hallway is as quiet as, or what the beach is as hot as is never fully defined.

2. Chur/Choice
    This is another Kiwi-ism that substitutes a completely different word for ‘cool’ or ‘awesome’ into the conversation. “Hey, I got you guys some food to eat” “Chur” “Oh choice bro!”

3. Bro or Cuz
    This is what male friends often call one another. Although they will often not call their actual brothers bro, or their real cousins cuz. This is also the go-to label men use for each other in casual conversation. “Hey bro, how are things going?” “Good bro, how are you?” “Yeah, I’m really good too bro.”

4. Eh/Ay/Aye
    This can be added to pretty much any sentence you can think of. This is basically what Kiwis do to turn all sentences into a question. Its pronounced “ay” but that doesn’t mean that’s how its spelt! No-one can agree a definitive spelling so everyone just writes it the way they prefer. “Its hot out there eh/ay/aye?” “Yeah bro, super warm eh/ay/aye?”

5. All good/No Worries
    Both basically mean “okay”, “you’re welcome” or “everything is alright.” One or both is said in response to someone who thanks the person. Either can also be used in a situation where you are reassuring someone that they will be alright. “Oh no, I forgot my cricket ball bro!” “No worries mate, I’ve got mine in my bag.” “Sorry cuz, I forgot to buy you a pie!” “All good, I’ll buy my own later.”

6. Keen
    When someone is enthusiastic about something this is normally the first response. “Do you wanna go to the beach later?” “Keen!”

7. Heaps
    It means you have a lot of something. This is a word used by Kiwis that often confuses people from outside the country. “I have heaps of birthday cake leftover from my party last night” “I had heaps of that cake last night, it was delicious.”

8. Crack up
    When something is funny, instead of saying “that’s funny” you can say “that’s crack up” instead. “That joke was crack up.”

9. Yeah-nah or Nah-yeah
    Depending on what comes at the end this either means yes or no. “Yeah-nah” means I’m not sure, I get what you’re saying, but it’s a no. “Nah-yeah” means I’m not sure, I get what you’re saying and I think it’s a yes. “Would you like some of my chocolate bar?” “Oh, yeah-nah, not really” or “Oh, yeah-nah-yeah, I probably shouldn’t but I can’t resist Cadbury chocolate.”

10. Yarn
    Telling a story. Sometimes people will say that its false because it sounds so crazy. “That old guy told a really long yarn last night!” “Yeah, you reckon it was all true or he made some of it up?”
    Tro

Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:47 am

• TC's a bludger. And a root rat. Bloody oath.
    High on Death
    Site Admin

Return to General Discussion

Information